Monday, October 1, 2007

Münster, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany


The Prinzipalmarkt.

Germany, at least the parts I've been to so far, are completely different than the Netherlands. Almost right across the border there are hills, slopes, valleys. So different than the flat land I've gotten used to for the past two weeks around Amsterdam.


I don't know if I mentioned, but Europeans use a different Visa/Mastercard system than Americans - so my credit cards are all but worthless here. That's made it difficult to pay for things, but I'm managing, and will figure something else out soon.


Münster is a great, cosmopolitan town. They even have a Starbucks! And what they eat, how they eat, is completely different than the Netherlands. Almost no vegetables, lots of meat and potatoes. Delicious for me, but also another thing I noticed was that there are a lot of overweight people in Germany. I've got a healthy American size myself, so I felt fine - but I'm not sure I could eat this way all the time. They also drink endless amounts of beer, something I just don't care for, so I'm happy to visit, but wouldn't want to live here.



St Lambert's church.


Yay! Starbucks! And I didn't have any American coffee. Instead I ate at a much cheaper cafe. Hey, I'm on a tight budget - the exchange rate US dollar to Euro is abysmal. I was shocked to discover that I do actually speak some German (thank you Mom), or at least could understand enough to order food and use the correct toilet. Seriously, what more do you need in life?
:)

1 comment:

Jim said...

Kitty--I'm glad that you've been able to venture to more than just one country. I am enjoying to photos and comments. I am looking forward to your next post :-)